Sunday 19 October 2014

Diwali, for everyone!

Diwali
dɪˈwɑːli/
noun
a Hindu festival with lights, held in the period October to November. It is particularly associated with Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity, and marks the beginning of the financial year in India.

Diwali is a Hindu festival also known to fellow Indian's as 'Deepavali' also known as the 'Festival of Light' to everybody else. 

I've never been a big Hindu festival celebrator in the past, however growing up I've come to realise how fun, getting together with family and friends to celebrate festivals can be. This year I've decided to be as involved as I can with the festivities, to learn more about it, also for the nice food.

Mainly for the nice food.

I wanted to find out more about the festival for myself, I did some research and the more and more I learnt about Diwali I realised that it isn't just a festival for Hindu's, it's a festival that can relate to everyone who believes in what Diwali spiritually signifies. 

"Triumph of good over evil, of righteousness over treachery, of truth over falsehood, and of light over darkness."

I think as long as you believe in this way of thinking, Diwali can relate to everyone and anyone. Any religion, any race. There are a lot more ways to celebrate Diwali aside from the belief side of it, it's a fun festival, Rangoli patterns are painted outside houses and fireworks are lit to celebrate the Indian New Year, lamps and candles are lit and placed around the house.

Of course there more in depth meanings to Diwali, and it means a lot more to some people than others. In order to get ready for Diwali; houses are cleaned, certain foods are made and new clothes are worn. All of which work to my advantage, any excuse to eat and buy new clothes. 

The Festival of Lights.
All of the Hindu God's have different meanings, for Diwali Lakshmi, Goddess of Wealth are honored the most. Lamps are lit in and outside people’s houses to guide Lakshmi, Goddess of Wealth into their homes. Prayers are said to the Goddess in order for a successful year ahead. And I'm paying £9k a year for tuition fees, so we all know who I'll be praying to in the next few days.


I wanted to write this post for insight for myself as well as for others, I think it's important to share one another's festivals with each other, celebrating together is always more fun. And I can't stress how good the food is around this time of year.


Happy eating and Happy Diwali everybody!
NKB

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment