Thursday 16 October 2014

Song Review: All About That Bass x Meghan Trainor

Since I've been going out at night a lot over the past month with it being freshers week or just an excuse to go out and drink alcohol, I've heard this song over 100 times. Personally, I am not into commercial music, I have a personal problem with listening to music that other people can't stop listening to. I've noticed when I go to clubs they try to make everyone there like the music, so they play catchy, corny, commercial music. Annoying.

So, an over look at this song... It's about girls, about how being a bigger dress size than a size 8 is acceptable and how Meghan's Mother supposedly told her that guys like bigger bums because they like to hold something at night - always the best kind of motivation.

Even though I hate listening to this song let alone blogging about it, I have recently heard that the lyrics have conjured up some sort of controversy. Of course it would, people do anything for a few status likes nowadays. I heard of a Facebook status from a girl on my friends Facebook, about how in the song Meghan refers to slimmer girls as "skinny b*tches" this seemed to make them mad, "it's not my [their] fault I'm naturally a size 6." I love how people feel the need to publicise that information about themselves, instead of just ranting how the lyrics is offensive to all girls who are a smaller dress size than a size 10.

I think that if this song has been taken personally by any girls who are a smaller dress size than a size 10, YOU ARE VERY SILLY. I can't remember the last time I listened to a commercial song that had an ounce of meaning behind the lyrics, to say the truth, artists who purposely make commercial music, just want a bit of quick money.  It's so obvious Miss. Trainor didn't write these ''in-depth'' lyrics herself. And there's nothing wrong with her doing this, in fact it has benefited her because the song, as much as I hate to admit it, is very catchy and does stick in your head after you've heard it once, so she has done well because people will remember the song. Unfortunately, people won't remember her because she's not had much promotion as a new artist, I had to Google who she was before I wrote this.

However, I did read somewhere that Meghan has been nominated for the 'New Artist of the Year' award. No surprises there, lets face it it's always the over ratted singers and actors who get the awards.

Anyway, I think that's enough criticising for the night. On a positive note, I would like to say I watched the music video with my 3 year old cousin and she enjoyed it very much, it was very cute watching her try to sing the song. I guess every cloud does have a silver lining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk
Enjoy!

NKB

No comments:

Post a Comment